Saturday, July 16, 2011

Thrifty Threads

We all know it, the price of everything is skyrocketing....gas, groceries, insurance, utilities, all of it. And when that happens, we have two choices; make more money or spend less. If you are like my family, we are doing both! Unfortunately, that means we have to pick and choose our splurges. And while we are not alone in this, that doesn't make it fun.

Some of my personal splurges have always been clothes, shoes, handbags and accessories. Lucky for me, I have always been a thrift store shopper. My family and children know it and they have always taken it in stride. My friends have always known it and they used to get a big kick out of it.

I have DVF suits, vintage authentic alligator bags, a big black leather Coach purse,and I recently acquired a pair of Italian black leather boots. I have purchased , over the years, countless fantastic ensembles for all kinds of occasions. Sometimes they have been designer, and sometimes they have been high end name brand.

These days lots of people who have never been Thrift Shoppers before are joining me. And my friends who got such amusement from my hobby have approached me for help and advice on doing the same. I have, in the past few months, been recruited  to help a family member thrift shop for a job interview outfit, helped a friend refill her closet for her office job after she lost weight (yea!) and even by a friends daughter to help her buy a wedding dress. Last month I started getting my 12 year old son's wardrobe ready for the fall school year. And I have copied complete ensembles of Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge, from magazine layouts for a 20 something daughter (We are going to blog a complete section on that, with photos.)

All of the above was done at thrift stores, garage sales, and flea markets.

So join me. With the price of everything going up, let the cost of looking like a million go down. If you are new to Thrifty Threads and bargain shopping you may learn a lot. If you are an old hand you make pick up a new idea, and you can join in and pat yourself on the back while you teach others and share your knowledge!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment